Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Putting the ‘Justice’ in GIS: Supporting Communities using EPA Citizen Science Tools

This article gave a basic understanding of what environmental justice is then went into how we can accomplish environmental justice using some science tools such as GIS Mapping tools. GIS stands for Geographic Information System,  they plan on using GIS as a screening and risk assessment device. This tool will allow people to input there zip codes and see a map of their area showing them all the environmental risks. This is really cool because many people are unaware of environmental issues that effect their towns. For example when I started my internship on Mercury, I had no idea that it could potentially be a problem in East Haven somewhere close to where I live. This article really made me think about communities where people might not even know about the environmental issues they face and how we could change that.

No comments:

Post a Comment